A city in the county of West Yorkshire, west of Leeds, in a side valley where a broad ford crosses a small tributary of the River Aire. A fulling mill recorded in 1311 indicates the early importance of the manufacture of wool products. By 1900 it had emerged as the main wool-buying center for Yorkshire, handling wool from overseas and the home markets. Silk, alpaca, and velvet cloths were manufactured in the late 19th century. The textile industry declined in importance during the late 20th century, while other manufacturing sectors grew (engineering, paper and packaging, and printing). Important Victorian buildings include the Town Hall (Italian style) and the Wool Exchange (Venetian-Gothic). The parish church (dating from the 15th century in the site of an earlier Norman church) became a cathedral in 1920. The University of Bradford is located in the city.
POPULAR SIGNS:More signs
NEW SIGNS:More signs