Wacker Drive is a major street running along the Chicago River. The vast majority of it is double-decked; the upper level intended for local traffic, and the lower level for through-traffic and trucks servicing buildings on the road (and originally a dock). It was planned in 1909 and completed in 1926. It is sometimes cited as a precursor to the modern freeway, though when built the idea was that pleasure vehicles would use the upper level. Wacker Drive was named after Charles H. Wacker (1856-1929), the chairman of the Chicago Plan Commission, who enthusiastically supported its construction. It is one of a few streets in the city that has addresses on all four cardinal directions (E, W, N and S). The world's tallest building, the Sears Tower, is located in S. Wacker Drive.
POPULAR SIGNS:More signs
NEW SIGNS:More signs