Ursulines St ("Rue des Ursulines" in French) is a street in the historic French Quartier of New Orleans. In 1727 twelve Ursuline nuns (Sisters of Ursula) from France established the first school for girls, ran the first free school and the first orphanage and held the first classes for African slave and Native American girls in what is now the United States. This avenue was named in their honor. In 1752 they built what it’s known now as the Old Ursuline Convent (at Chartres St), the only remaining French-colonial building in the whole country. Though its sign calls it “rue” (street) in French, its official name in English is Ursulines Avenue.
POPULAR SIGNS:More signs
NEW SIGNS:More signs