St. James's Market was established by the Earl of St. Albans. It is first mentioned in 1663 and a market house was built in 1665. By the early nineteenth century St. James's Market was no longer of such good repute. Strictly speaking, the present St. James's Market is a new street originated by the widening of the existing passageway from St. Alban's Street to the Haymarket when a new market was laid out in 1818.
POPULAR SIGNS:More signs
NEW SIGNS:More signs