The area around Bow Street was developed by Francis Russell, 4th Earl of Bedford in the 1630s. Its name derives from its shape. Oliver Cromwell moved here in 1645. Henry Fielding (1707-1754), author of The History of Tom Jones, was the creator of the Bow Street Runners, the forerunners of the modern police force. Here was also until recently the historic Bow Street Magistrates' Court, where Casanova, Oscar Wilde, the Pankhursts and Lord Archer among others appeared as reluctant visitors.
POPULAR SIGNS:More signs
NEW SIGNS:More signs