You have no favorites |
Popular| New| Random
3,603 real signs in stock


Place de la Concorde


Paris, France


Street name

“Concord Square”. Place de la Concorde, located in the 8th arrondissement (district) at the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées, is one of the major squares in Paris. The square was designed in 1755 as an octagon and named then Place Louis XV to honor the king. It featured an equestrian statue of the monarch. During the French Revolution this statue was torn down and the area renamed "Place de la Révolution". The new revolutionary government erected the guillotine in this square. The first notable to be executed here was the last French king, Louis XVI, in 1793. Here were also guillotined Marie Antoinette, Danton and Robespierre, among many others in the period known as “la Terreur”. The place where the guillotine once stood is occupied now by a 75 feet high Egyptian obelisk from Luxor, a gift by the viceroy of Egypt, Mehemet Ali, that arrived in Paris in 1833. Missing its original cap, believed stolen in the 6th century BC, in 1998 the government of France added a gold-leafed pyramid cap to the top of the obelisk. Place de la Concorde takes its present name in 1830 to mark the reconciliation of the French people after the revolutionary excesses.

Place de la Concorde

BUY Products:



More signs